Getting started in research

There are a number of ways to get started in research. Here are a few starting points:

  1. Talk to your instructors. In general, you will have the most success in finding someone to supervise your work if you choose an instructor who taught a course in which you got a very high grade.
  2. TA’s are also good resources. Most TAs also work directly in labs and with professors who may be looking for undergraduate students. They may even supervise your project!
  3. Talk with your friends. They may have different connections or may have worked in a research position.
  4. Apply for a position within a program.
  5. Seek one-on-one advising with the Undergraduate Research Program.
  6. Some professors advertise projects that are looking for students. Look through their web pages and/or see if there are flyers on their doors.

Research for Credit (EE 490/499)

EE 490/499 Approval Form

Students can earn two types of credit for EE research: EE 490 (CR/NC), or EE 499 (graded).  A maximum of 10 credits of EE 499 (not 490) can count toward the EE elective area. EE 490 or 499 represents research or a design project carried out under the supervision of a faculty sponsor. Students may register for between 1 – 5 credits of EE 499 each quarter; the precise number of credits is determined by the student and the faculty supervisor and is dependent on the amount of work to be carried out. Each credit generally represents between three and five hours of work each week. To register for these credits, please pick up an “EE 490/499 Approval for Undergraduate Research and Special Projects” form from the Advising Office, obtain a faculty signature and turn in your signed approval form to Advising for an entry code.

Research opportunities outside of EE

UW Undergraduate Research Program
UW Undergraduate Research Symposium
Engineering-related Programs and Funding for Research
National Science Foundation